Frequently asked questions
Managing users and their roles (permissions)
Some terminology that will be helpful:
Any company, group, team, committee, association, department, competition that logically groups a set of people together is given the generic term 'organization' in pagebloom. Organizations can be structured hierarchically so that a top level organization (eg. company or sports club) may have sub organizations (eg., departments, committees, competitions) and those sub organizations can have futher sub organizations to any required depth (eg., client support team, sporting team).
The pagebloom administration screens have a 'Structure' menu under the Organization menu item that allows quick navigation both up and down your organizational structure.
A user is a person who has an account in pagebloom. A user can have one or more roles in a given organization.
To see the users that have been granted roles within an organization go to Organization > People menu in the pagebloom administration pages.
A role that can be assigned (or revoked) from a user. Users are given permissions to perform certain operations based on the set of roles that they have been assigned to them.
Roles are inherited - this means that if a user is granted a role in Organization A then that user will inherit that role in all sub organizations of Organization A.
To grant or terminate a role for a particular users go the 'People' section under 'Organization' in the administration menu
Sports club scenario: if a user is given 'ArticleApprover' role in the top level 'Sports club' organization then he can approve articles for all teams. If instead he was given 'ArticleApprover' role for the 'Under 9- Under 19' then he would only be able to approve articles generated for teams under that group.
Tasks can be generated both manually and automatically. Assignment of a task to a user is based on the roles that users have.
When a new task is created in the system an email is sent to the users who have a role that enables them to process that task. If a user is no longer responsible for processing a particular type of task then the role corresponding to that task should be terminated.
How do I create an account?
You may have been sent here because an administrator of a website hosted on pagebloom wishes to grant you permission to perform certain roles on that website for which you need a pagebloom account. If so then you have come to the right place!
Just follow these simple steps:
- Go to the website that you wish to create an account for. An administrator of the website might have already provided you with the URL for their website. If so then you should enter that URL into a new browser tab and press enter. If not you can enter www.pagebloom.com and create an account there and it will work for any pagebloom hosted website.
- Click on the "Log in/ Sign up" link in the top right hand corner of the page.
- Click on the "Sign up" button on the Log in/Sign up screen.
- Enter your email address and other details and press "Create account"
- Send your administrator an email letting him or her know that you have created an account and if you are part of a sub organization (i.e. a sports team, department, section etc.,) please include the name of that sub organization (eg., Under 10 Reds or SE Asia Marketing or Retail etc.,)
How do I add a new person to my organization (group, team)
To give a user permissions on your site:
- In the admin panel, navigate to the organization or child organization you're adding this user to.
- In the left menu, go to Organization > People.
- Click the Add person button at the top.
- You can either search for the intended user by their name, or you can enter their email address directly if you know it. Once you've indicated the person you want, click Next.
- Add desired roles by selecting them in the left list and clicking Add >. This will add them to the assigned roles list on the right. Some organizations also have premade role groups, sets of roles that are often assigned together. To add a role group, select the group at the top left and click Add group >. This will add the group's roles individually to the assigned roles list.
- When you're happy with this user's roles, click Finish. Their name and roles should now appear in the People list.
How do I add/terminate user roles to give/revoke access to various functions of the system?
Pagebloom uses a role-based permission system to control access to restricted features of your website. For example, only people with the Author role can create news articles. These roles apply to the organization they're configured for and are inherited by the user assigned to them in all child organizations of the organization they are configured in.
If you want to grant a role to a person who has never had a role in your organization you first need to add them. See the previous question for details of how to add a new person/user to your organization.
Changing existing users
You can add or remove roles for users you've already set up.
- In the admin panel, navigate to the organization or child organization you're changing.
- In the left menu, go to Organization > People.
- Next to the name of the person you want to change, click the Roles button.
- To add a new role, click the Add role button. Select the role you want to add, then click Save.
- To remove a role, select the role you want to remove and then click the Terminate role button.
- Once you're done, click Save. If all roles on a user are removed, that user will be removed from the list. You can add them again with the instructions for adding users, above.